Friday 6 January 2012

Four's a letter, five's something better (in this case, Skype)

Whatever did human beings do before Skype? Phone, letter, carrier pigeon? Weep over their sky-high transatlantic call bills? Get upset when they don't get a reply to an email straight away or at all? Until a couple of days ago, I was one of them; I knew of Skype but hadn't really considered using it, tried it once but then my computer malfunctioned and wiped it off. If that wasn't a sign from the technology Gods, I don't know what is.

However, as well as being a technophobe's nightmare, Skype also goes right to the heart of two of my irrational fears: picking up a ringing phone and having to talk to whoever is on the other end, and seeing myself on webcam (those things ain't flattering at certain angles). So killing two birds with one stone, I set up Skype and started talking to friends in Italy, South Korea and Scotland, just typing at first, then calling yesterday and then today finally video chat. I'm always better at typing or texting conversations; it makes what I'm going to say easier to consider and analyse and there aren't any awkward pauses or massive WTF? moments. The only person I can really phone is my ex-flatmate and if we have long silences then they tend not to be too awkward.

So after a few gack moments with Skype calling, video chatting was much easier than expected once I found a decent webcam angle and adjusted to seeing myself talk (leave. Your hair. ALONE Annabel). It's bizarre to see and hear someone with such clarity when they are so far away; there's nothing like enjoying the flush of a South Korean wc as you catch up on all the goss. I'm still a bit weird with answering the phone when I know I have to have a conversation but being able to see someone is much easier and now I don't have to go months without seeing friends abroad, which is lovely. Now to combine everything and answer a phone call half-way up a muddy mountain with a sheer drop while wearing no makeup. Mebz leave that for next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment